1. The Context
Businessmen, Politicians, Artists, People of public interest – all have to distinguish themselves.
Design-Management is concerned primarily to profiling. FORBELI HOME’s Designmanagement is focused on the relations of persons to their community. Then we care for the reaffirmation of the ideals of our clients by their environment, to inspire them every new day. This is achieved the better the more precisely we proceed from asking the right questions to extract the real needs of our clients.
2. The Profiling
- In a competitive situation your offer must seem the better choice, otherwise the rival bid is preferred.
- This results in the consequence that the targeted market must recognise the benefits of our clients offer.
No matter how favourable your offer is, it is not interesting, if the market does not know about the benefits.
- The market must understand that the once recognized offer is of interest. The offered advantages must be felt important. It is totally irrelevant what the designer or market supplier considers important, if not the same is true for the customer. Many offers include services that are not so rewarded by the market, just because the market partners believe the benefits are unimportant.
- The recognized and in their importance well understood services, must be held more advantageous than the competition. The advantages of your offer can be justified from a better performance, a greater scope and higher intensity, or simply at lower cost or at a lower price.
- The advantages of your offer, are allocated to you by your customers.
- In the eyes of the customer it is not enough to do the better, people also have to talk about it. Not doing so pioneering advantages could be wasted.
Within this triangular relationship between suppliers, competition and demand, Indoor Architecture is developing successful solutions. This raises the question how the focus is to be set, in the effort to raise the profiling of our clients property offers.
3. Profiling Opportunities
In the area of tension between low cost and high performance, the following profiling framework can be set up.
The “cost leadership” strategy
focuses on the most cost effective sourcing, manufacturing and marketing conditions.
“Performance leadership” strategies
seek to obtain an exact conformity of needs and benefits.
You can profile yourself either with cognitive or with emotional (affective) key elements.
In interior design both strategies – cognitive and emotional – can be very well implemented.
Emotional strategies may have different strategy cores. In interior design the first focus is on aesthetics.
4. About Design as a profiling opportunity: Design – Styles
Design can be described as carefully planned shaping with strong aesthetic implications. In interior design we are focused on the design of our rooms and environments.
This carefully planned layout has the following focal points:
The practical dimension
captures the performance, usability and the functionality of the proposed solution.
The symbolic dimension
one could speak of a semantic dimension, describes the expressive power of the space. This dimension stretches from the space to the owner and from the owner to his social surroundings. “What tells the space about its owner ? What should it tell ?”
The aesthetic dimension
leaves wide room by emphasizing the subjective sense of beauty of the individual.
Within these three dimensions a variety of design styles can be displayed.
The aesthetic functionalism,
In architecture this style corresponds to the so-called classic modernism. This style meets the claims for harmony, unity, simplicity, autonomy. This style is the result of extensive reflections on possibilities of reducing forms and improving the usability at the same time. Everything opulent would distract and disturb only. Characteristic of the Bauhaus style is that it is characterized by the effort to simple forms with high usability.
operates with technical aesthetics. Modular principles, technical forms (eg. cooling fins), technical design principles (eg. visible joints, delicate wire tension) provide a technical aesthetics, without any restrictions to the usability.
The demonstrative Aestheticism
stresses the beautiful cover, the continuous line. Joints must not be disturbed by handles, knobs or the like. Interior design this style shows the value their owner puts on aesthetics.
has also been found his expression in interior design. Shapings seem to defy gravity and negate both the vertical and the horizontal, convey the free spirit and strong will of their followers.
is working with historic style references (eg. columns, capitals, pediments, friezes). As it were with a twinkle in the eye functional conditions (eg. boxes) get happy new clothes.
The Memphis Design
is a protest against the reduced, cool, aesthetic functionalism. This sharping should provoke, the usability steps back behind the pleasure principle.
The Gadget Design
goes a step further. Changes in dimensions are in the foreground. Usefulness is no longer in the focus.
This description of the various design styles – that determine the interior design of the international premium segment – shows the possibilities of a professional design management.
It also allows determining changes to the design priorities over time. Thus, in recent years, the symbolic dimension becomes more important. You can also conduct researches for gaps and ask what conditions must exist in order to create a new design direction in such a gap. What conditions must be met for example, that the current trend of the increase of symbolic meanings reverses? Which new design styles may be arising therefrom?
5. Target group orientation
The impact of design as profiling instrument depends on the cause of the effect. Not everyone is interested in design. The knowledge in design issues has increased significantly in recent years indeed. Different, social milieus and target groups, however, respond very differently to the various design directions in interior design.
Thus design in the style of aesthetic functionalism is received overwhelmingly positively by a core segment in the technocratic-liberal milieu.
It is, therefore, necessary first to explore the effect of individual design directions to the target audience, to determine which design direction to use in order to achieve the most positive profile for the target segment.
This way it is conceivable to find well usable and more secure solutions, with restrained aesthetics for a senior conservative and more traditional milieu. This would be
- the luxurious glamour design or
- traditional solutions in the style of functionalist aesthetic,
- technicism or
For the technocratic-liberal milieu there are various aesthetic solutions:
- the purely aesthetic functionalism as the dominant solution
- the technicism as performance-oriented aesthetics
- Memphis, Postmodernism, and Deconstructivism as novelties oriented aesthetics and
- the demonstrative aestheticism as pure aesthetic.
This allows continuing the assignments. Once again, we can consider opportunities of development.
The social environment, the new zeitgeist, etc. leads to key changes in the types of settings, so always new forms can be found.
FORBELI HOME’s DESIGN-MANAGEMENT
If design is to be integrated into architectural decisions an appropriate basis for decisions needs to be created. It is not enough to get design proposals of designers or entrust simply internal staff with questions of design.
FORBELI HOME’s Designmanagement therefore takes the following tasks
- Gathering information on new developments in design
- Development of target group-oriented, matching design approaches and innovation proposals
- Task formulation and contracting to internal and external designers
- Design planning, including staff and budget planning
- Time and budget control
- Coordination of design solutions
- Cooperation management of external and internal designers
- Design evaluation, control of target achievement, corporate identity and corporate design.